Monday, October 3, 2011

Heroes (Day 4 and 5)

Although I did miss two days of the Summer Institute, I am so glad that I was able to attend the session given by Dennis Denenberg. When I received the agenda for the institute I was immediately excited to see that we would hear from a former teacher who had written a book about American Heroes, and I was not disappointed. Dr. Denenberg was, in my opinion, easily the most interesting and inspirational presenter that I have heard from throughout the AHF-grant. His presentation was engaging, he gave us great historical information, told relevant stories, and we got a book to take home!
Throughout my teaching I have not spent much time looking at specific heroes in American History, and I usually just focus on the "Big Ideas", but now I realize that it is much more powerful to not only look at "Big Ideas", but also focus on some of the specific "Heroes" that have shaped our nation. I will definately use his book as a reference throughout the year, and take some of his ideas back to my class.
Some things that I am definately planning to do are to have a "class moto", and to create American Hero bathroom passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment