Monday, October 3, 2011

Summer Institute Day #3

Well, day 3 was actually my first day at the Summer Institute, and I was very excited about the information being covered. The American Revolution, in my opinion, is the most exciting part of the year, but last year I was a little disappointed in my ability to pass on my excitement about the subjects to my students.
Some of the toughest parts of the American Revolution to get the students excited about are all of the causes of the American Revolution. Today we learned some specific ways to look at these events from both the American and British perspectives. I especially liked the way our presenter spoke about Colonists as some-what paranoid or as conspiracy theorists. I think it is important to for all of our students to know that most Colonists would not have gone to war over taxes alone. However in my past teaching I may have lead my students to believe that taxes were the driving force. In the future I hope to do a better job of presenting both sides, and helping my students to understand what was going through the minds of the Colonists, as they saw the King make all of these new rules, and "acts".

No comments:

Post a Comment